The next Tech for Good Scotland event will be held on Wednesday 13th December. It is organised by Third Sector Lab and hosted by BJSS in Glasgow.
Part of the Tech for Good UK Network, there will be two great speakers, you'll get the chance to meet others using digital as a tool for positive change plus the opportunity to share your own work with those attending.
Talks - 13th December 2023
What is video good for? How to maximise your impact with video content
with Darryl Corner, Video and Audio Lead at Third Sector Lab
Darryl Corner is the Video and Audio Lead at Third Sector Lab. He recognises the transformative power of video and its ability to engage and connect with diverse audiences. At ReachPLC, he led a team to create solutions for some of the country’s largest companies.
Darryl developed paid-for content that was published through national and regional news titles, including the Daily Mirror and the Daily Record. Coming from a publishing background, he believes in taking an ‘audience first’ attitude to everything.
Data strategies for third sector organisations
with Samantha Rhynas, Chief Operating Officer at Effini
Sam is Chief Operating Officer at Effini, an innovative data and AI solutions company.
With extensive technical and strategic experience, she brings an approach for both startups and established organisation to build data into their core strategy, establishing best practice for data governance, quality and management. She designs and delivers data workshops on topics ranging from getting started with data to executive data strategy masterclasses.
Sam sits on the Scottish AI Alliance Leadership Circle, focusing on Scotland’s Artificial Intelligence Strategy. Passionate about diversity within the technology sector, she leads Girl Geek Scotland, and is a co-organiser for the Edinburgh chapter of PyData, a global community for users of open-source data tools for analytics and AI
Who is Tech for Good Scotland for?
- Anyone working in the third sector using digital, data and design to do good stuff.
- Funders supporting organisations to use technology to better deliver services.
- Public sector folks working in policy, funding and delivery.
- Activists using digital to engage with communities and bring about change.
- Professionals working in businesses and start-ups passionate about tech for good.
Priority ticketing is given to those working in the third sector and community activists. We also have free tickets for funders, start-ups, tech for good businesses and public sector folks.
Third Sector Lab organised Scotland's first meet-ups focused on digital as a tool for social good back in 2010 - Be Good Be Social. Those events ran for almost a decade, bringing together a wide range of people passionate about tech, design and data.
Principles we are working to as part of the Tech for Good UK Network:
- Technology can be a force for good in society
- Work in the open - it makes collaboration easier. We’re here to collaborate, work together and be part of something bigger.
- Lead by example - celebrate the radical approaches brought by everyone in the community and understand that people have different lived experiences.
- Do no harm / operate responsibly - despite our best intentions, no one is exempt from making a mistake. But we strive to do our utmost best to ensure we’re accountable for our actions.
- Don’t ponder, do. But do so responsibly.
Why is it 10am-12pm?
I ran a poll on Twitter and this time slot was most popular. It allows folks from outwith Glasgow to get in easily and it allows working parents & carers to attend without lots of planning. Unfortunately no timeslot we choose is going to be perfect for everyone. We will see how this goes and we can change timings for the next one if there's enough demand.
Next event: Wednesday 13th December 2023